Creating a Discussion Forum
The purpose of this procedural document is to provide instructions on how to create a discussion forum in Blackboard. This procedural document assumes that users are logged in to Blackboard and in an active course shell.
- From the left-hand navigation menu, click the Discussions link.
The Discussion Board page displays.
The Discussion Board page lists all of the discussion forums in the course.
- Click the Create Forum button.
The Create Forum page displays.
- In the Name field, enter a name for the discussion. The name entered here is also the name that will be displayed in the Grade Center.
- In the Description field, enter the discussion question that students will answer.
- From the Forum Availability section, select whether the forum will be available to students or set date restrictions for the discussion forum.
From the Forum Settings section, accept all of the defaults for the checkboxes and the Subscribe sub-section.
- From the Grade sub-section, click to select the Grade Discussion Forum radio button and enter a point value for the discussion forum in the Points possible field.
- Do not uncheck the Show participants in “needs grading” status checkbox. Leaving this selected will alert you, via the Grade Center that students have participated and the forum can be graded.
- If desired, use the Add Rubric menu to associate a rubric with this discussion.
Click the Submit
button. The discussion forum is successfully created.
After creating the discussion forum, you may want to create a link to the discussion from within a content area.