This work instruction shows users how to create links to external websites in Blackboard. Creating links, or URLs, is another way to bring additional material and perspective to each week’s content. This document assumes that the user is logged into Blackboard and inside of a course shell.
1. Click the course you wish to edit. In this case it is Week 1.
2. Hover the mouse over the Build Content button.
The Build Content menu displays.
3. From the second section of the Create column, click the Web Link link.
The Create Web Link page displays.
4. In the Name field, enter a name for the link. This is a required field.
5. In the URL field, paste or enter the website address for the site to which the link is being created.
- If desired, enter a description of the website in the Attachments section.
- If desired, attach a file to the URL content item by clicking the Browse My Computer button in the Attachments section.
6. From the Web Link Options section, click to select the Yes radio button for the Open in New Window option. Selecting this option will ensure that the link opens properly.
- Ensure that the Permit Users to View this Content radio button is set to Yes if you want student to have the ability to view the URL. Otherwise, select No.
- To track the number of times the URL content item is used, click to select the Yes radio button for the Track Number of Views option.
- Use the Select Date and Time Restrictions options to make the URL content item available and unavailable on the dates and times specified.
Click the Submit
button. The URL content item is successfully created.